Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Reflections (Yoseph)

"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." ~Aristotle

Looking back on the post that Katie put, it made me remember how I chose my major, so I decided to put in my little story/insight as well (no I am not copying, she had a good idea, yeesh).

Ever since I was a kid, I have always had this thing for art. When I was young, my mom used to give me a paper and some colors to doodle. It wasn't that there wasn't anything else I could do, but what better way to express your imagination then through a sheet of paper (and later Photoshop)? I got the skill from my mother, but I excelled in it (no I am not trying to brag). It helped me through thick and thin surprisingly. If I ever got in trouble, I would go to my room, cry a little, and begin to draw. It always made me feel better.

Jump to fourth grade, I was in an art class and we were studying how artists sometimes hide little "secrets" within their paintings and artwork. I still remember it as if it were yesterday, I drew this picture of the country, it had rocks and trees, a house, and of course a cornfield. I put faces into what I could and tried to make it so that it wasn't noticeable until pointed out. This got me a place on my elementary school wall for a year. How happy I was to walk in everyday and tell people "Yeah, I drew that picture."

Jump to sixth grade, I hung out with a group of kids, and I began to draw my very first comic book. In it I had five of my closest friends (at the time). It was rude, however, when this bully came up to our table, took my comic that I worked so hard on, and threw it in the trash. Of course like most kids, I was hurt and I kind of dropped my talent.

I didn't really pick it up again until my 10th grade year in high school. I remember I was sitting with my friends when this guy came over and sat with us. He drew anime, and immediately I was fascinated. I would sit and watch him draw these characters from scratch during lunch, and try not to be a creeper about it. This thus began my compassion for my drawing again.

When I graduated however I went into Nursing. Why I did it? I don't know honestly, I think it was because I had heard of how much money nurses made. I went into it for a year, but then I realized something... why did I study something that I didn't enjoy? I learned that one should never go into any career for money. It was stupid for me to do and I am happy I left it. Now some of you might be okay with it (in that case kudos to you), but I for one was not. 

Anyways what I am trying to say is that one should go into something that they will be happy in. Don't ever go into some degree for money because in the long run, you are not going to be happy. By learning this I switched from Nursing to Multimedia Design and began doing something I really enjoyed, no matter how much money I will make in the real world. Be happy with what you enjoy, and don't worry so much about money, you will be fine.

~Yoseph

No comments:

Post a Comment